This list is long (and not even complete) because Jim Cummings is an old-school public servant. If he’s learned anything since his State Police career began in 1974 it’s that service to the community is a broad obligation -- not a narrow mandate. His election as Sheriff has given him an extraordinary opportunity to practice what he preaches. We think you’ll agree.
Awards and Honors
- Numerous years during tenure…Recognized for Office's participation in Muscular Dystrophy Association's Labor Day weekend telethon
- May 2, 2015…Certificate of Appreciation for providing, erecting, and striking the tents used for Massachusetts National Guard's Yankee Division Re-dedication Ceremony -- next door to Sheriff Office headquarters at Camp Edwards
- 2014…Two awards from officials who represent the Otis Civilian Advisory Council, for the Sheriff's "continuing support" of the military branches posted at Joint Base Cape Cod in Bourne
- December of 2013…Certification of Appreciation from Coastal Patrol #18 for supporting the unit's work with Massachusetts Civil Air Patrol's detachment at Joint Base Cape Cod
- December of 2013…Office named "Community Organization of the Year" by the Cape Cod Children's Museum, for "outstanding and lasting contributions." Achievement duly recognized as well by Massachusetts House of Representatives and Massachusetts Senate, both issuing citations so stating.
- 2013…Sheriff recognized by United States Marine Corps for his contribution to 2013 Holiday Season during Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan. Sheriff drafted heart-felt cover letter and help bundle them in with holiday care packages for the troops, a task he has eagerly shouldered in prior holiday season's as well.
- Winter of 2013…Plaque from DeWitt Clinton Masonic Lodge in Sandwich, recognizing and thanking Sheriff for the 1,205 hours of donated inmate labor. The man-hours were critical to the successful completion of a major makeover, inside and out, of the 166-year-old lodge.
- August of 2013…Camp USA designates August 7, 2013 as Sheriff Jim Cummings Day in
Pocasset (part of Bourne), Massachusetts
- January of 2012…Massachusetts March of Dimes recognizes Sheriff's Office for its "outstanding performance and lasting contribution" to the 42nd annual Cape Cod & Island Telerama. This is the second such March of Dimes citation awarded during Sheriff Cummings's tenure
- April , 2011…The Barnstable High School Sailing Boosters recognize Sheriff's Office for its help with club fundraising efforts
- 2010…Alzheimer's Services of Cape Cod thank Sheriff for "outstanding commitment and supreme generosity" toward its 2010 Miles of Memories Walk, the second year BCSO has been so recognized.
- May of 2010…Both the Massachusetts House and the Massachusetts Senate issue citations of recognition to Sheriff Cummings for winning the "Jack Cramer Award for Service," an honor bestowed on him for "exceptional commitment to the Boys and Girls Clubs of Cape Cod."
- March of 2010...Recognized in this and immediate prior years by Cape Cod Hospital for hosting blood drives at the Barnstable County Correctional Facility.
- May of 2009...Recognized by Bourne Food Pantry for "outstanding community service in our fight against hunger."
- May of 2009...Recognized by Nam Vets Association of Cape Cod and Islands for "exceptional efforts in the service of this organization."
- Appreciation Award presented to Sheriff James M. Cummings and BSCO in recognition of outstanding commitment and continued support for the Bourne Scallop Festival, up to the present 39th year
- June 3, 2008…Certificate of Appreciation awarded to Sheriff James M. Cummings and BCSO in recognition for outstanding and dedicated participation during the construction of the Three Mile Look Project in Buzzards Bay
- May 30, 2008…Certificate of Appreciation awarded to Sheriff James M. Cummings and BCSO in recognition of valuable contributions to improvement of Camp Greenough Scout Reservation facilities
- Summer 2007…Appreciation Award to Sheriff James M. Cummings and Community Service Crew by the Dennis Small Business Association in recognition of BCCF contribution to Dennis Community of the DSBA during summer fest activities
- June 26, 2006…for leadership and involvement in Operation Helping Hands at OAFB to help victims of Hurricane Katrina by Commonwealth of MA/House of Representatives
- December 9, 2005…Recognition by US Dept. Homeland Security to James M. Cummings for Operation FLASH (Fellow Law Enforcement Agencies Securing the Homeland), specifically US Immigrations & Customs Enforcement for Apprehension, Detention and Removal of 189 fugitives apprehended
- October 2005…Appreciation to James M. Cummings for support for 1 st Annual Accelerant Detection K-9 Seminar in participation with Erie, PA State Police, Connecticut State Police and Massachusetts State Police
- September 2005 - Recipient of the "Five Star Recognition" award from the Massachusetts Committee for Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve for his "over and above" policies.
- August 2005…Appreciation for assistance with filling 3,000 sandbags utilized for 26 th CBCS Operational Readiness Inspection and future deployments from the men and women of 267 the Combat Communications Squadron, MANGB
- March 7, 2005…Boy Scouts of America present James E. West Fellow Award in honor of BCSO with appreciation from CC&I Council
- May 28, 2004… New England NEOA (Narcotic Enforcement Officers Association) in appreciation for support and service rendered to them by Sheriff James M. Cummings and BCSO.
- October 2003 - Leadership Award from the Cape Cod Council on Alcoholism
- October 1, 2003 - Certificate of Recognition for Leadership on the Barnstable County TRIAD Project from the Bourne Women's Club
- September 2003 - Appointed Executive Board member of the Governor's Commission on Criminal Justice Innovation
- June 2003 - Member of the new Massachusetts Military Reservation Military-Civilian Community Council, an advisory board formed to promote goodwill and unity between the Massachusetts National Guard, military and civilian tenants of the MMR and local and regional communities and organizations.
- May 2003 - East Coast Regional Conference, Falmouth. In recognition for continued support of APCO and 2003 East Coast Regional Conference
- January 2003 - Vice-President and President Elect of the Massachusetts Sheriff's Association
- Sept. 2002 - Muscular Dystrophy Association...valued supporter in the effort to find treatments and cures for neuromuscular diseases
- Sept. 2002 - In recognition of outstanding commitment and continued support for 32nd Bourne Scallop Festival, given by the Cape Cod Canal Chamber of Commerce, which includes the communities of Bourne, Sandwich and Wareham
- March 2002 - Certificate of Appreciation for outstanding commitment and Excellence in the Salvation Army Day of Hospitality Program
- March 2002 - Recognition Award by Youth Congress Conference Committee for ongoing assistance and support of the Cape and Islands Youth Congress and Leadership Programs
- March 2002 - Recognition and Acknowledgment for continued support of Friends of Prisoners, Inc., Guindon House, Hyannis, Massachusetts
- 2001 Recipient of the Regional Service Award presented by the Cape Cod Canal Region Chamber of Commerce to an individual whose leadership, performance, personal example and good influence has done the most to advance the welfare of the Chamber of Commerce and the Community
- January 19, 2001 - received Citation from Massachusetts Senate, signed by President of the Senate, Thomas Birmingham for the same
- January 19, 2001 - received Citation from Massachusetts House of Representatives signed by Speaker of House Thomas Finneran in recognition of leadership, performance and personal example to advance the welfare of the Cape Cod Canal Region Chamber of Commerce and the Community
- 2000 International Association of Police Chiefs....issued certificate of membership of the IAPC dedicated to the advancement of professionalism and law enforcement
- November 9, 2000 - Dennis Housing Authority....with sincere appreciation for your belief in giving back to the Community for the many benefits we received from the Community Service Work Program
- August 1, 2000 - Professional Assistance Aware and Certificate of Appreciation by the Falmouth Police Department for working in partnership with Falmouth Police Department to reduce crime, increase public safety and improve the overall quality of life in the Town of Falmouth, issued by Chief of Police David Cusolito
- July 6, 2000 - Yarmouth Housing Authority....Certificate of Appreciation in recognition of outstanding service to the Housing Authority and Board of Commissioners for efficient use of tax dollars through the use of inmates labor for public purposes (received this 4/10/00)
- ESGR, 2000 Employee Support of the Guard and Reserve...Certificate of Appreciation on behalf of the men and women of America’s Reserve Forces for outstanding service to the national defense through continuing support of the National Guard and Reserve.
- May 2000 - Relay for Life Fund Raising Team, promoting cure for breast cancer
- April 29, 2000 - MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Drivers) Appreciation for Support of MADD’s Youth in Action Programs
- March 4, 2000 - Certificate of Appreciation, through the local brotherhood of Police Officers in recognition for technical support first in Cumming’s role as State Police Lieutenant and also as Sheriff of Barnstable County
- YMCA, 2000 Appreciation for your contribution to YMCA of Cape Cod 2000 Reach Out for the Youth Campaign
- November 22, 1999 - American Jail Association recognizes him as a professional member
- October 4, 1999 - Barnstable County Triad Appreciation Award for assistance with the first Barnstable County Triad Conference
- Mar.-June 1999 - Barnstable Fatherhood Program.... in recognition of support and involvement in promoting responsible fatherhood principles in the Barnstable Fatherhood Program . . signed by Probation Officers J. Robert Smith and Joseph D. Casey, Jr.
- March 17, 1999 - Recognition by the Cape & Islands Emergency Medical Services for participating in the Second Annual Public Safety Telecommunicators Training Seminar held at Cape Cod Community College
- January 9, 1998 - Certificate of Appreciation of the Drug Enforcement Administration under the United States Department of Justice for outstanding contributions in the field of drugs and law enforcement, presented to James Cummings in his role as Detective Lieutenant for the Massachusetts State Police Department in gratitude for superior contributions to the law enforcement responsibilities of the United States Secret Service
- January 1998 - Horizons of Hope...reaching out to families of the Commonwealth via Department of Social Services