ONE BADGE, UNLIMTED POSSIBILITES!
- Competitive Pay
- State Pension
- Paid Vacation, Holidays and Sick Days
- Health and Dental Insurance
If you are looking for a rewarding career where you can make a difference this may be the right career for you !
We are currently looking for Correctional Officers to join our team of professionals!
Under the direction of the Sheriff, Special Sheriff, Superintendent of Operations, Assistant Superintendent of Jail Operations and Superior Officers, the Correctional Officer is responsible for the care, custody and control of inmates in a correctional institution for men and women. The Correctional Officer supervises and guides their occupational, vocational and recreational activities; and performs related work as required.
STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain custodial care, and control of the inmates in their assigned area
- Oversee inmate compliance with inmate disciplinary rules and regulations
- Responsible for inspecting inmate housing units and ensuring all areas are kept to facility standards
- Responsible for ensuring written reports and/or work orders are submitted when housing, safety standards or maintenance issues arise
- Responsible for patrolling assigned areas of the facility, and ensuring the facility is kept in accordance with departmental policies, necessary to prevent escapes, riots and disorders
- Responsible for administering first aid up to their level of training
- Responsible for supervising inmate visits and monitoring inmate mail in accordance with departmental policies
- Responsible for enforcing all relevant facility rules and regulations as it relates to inmate behavior
- Responsible for clearly communicating with the inmate population, with an emphasis on inmates following instructions given to them
- Responsible for booking inmates, including but not limited to fingerprinting, photographing and collecting data from incoming inmates
- Good attendance is an essential aspect of this position
- Must be 21 years of age by completion of the academy
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent; B.S. degree Criminal Justice preferred but not required
- Ability to follow written and oral instruction
- Pass written, physical fitness and drug exams
- Must be eligible to obtain a license to carry a firearm in the state if MA
- Successfully complete an oral interview
PROCESS FOR 2021 CORRECTIONS ACADEMY
Written and physical fitness testing will begin in February
Panel Oral Interviews in March
Academy start date September 7, 2021
Equal Opportunity Employer: The Barnstable County Sheriff’s Office is an equal employment opportunity employer. NO person will be discriminated against in employment because of race, religion, color, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or military status.
Affirmative Action: The Barnstable County Sheriff’s Office abides by all State and Federal guidelines on affirmative action.
Harassment: The Barnstable County Sheriff’s Office is committed to providing a work environment free of harassment. Harassment based on race, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age or disability, or sexual harassment will not be tolerated under any circumstance. Any statements or actions which constitute harassment are in violation of Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 151B and will not be tolerated.